Quiz on Lesson 5
Kansas-Nebraska Act and the Dred Scott Case
1. This lesson was mainly about:
- a slave named Dred Scott was freed by the Supreme Court.
- runaway slaves had to be returned to the South.
- the question of slavery was splitting up the Union.
2. Warfare broke out in "Bleeding Kansas" over
- whether people from the North or the South should be allowed to come there.
- whether Uncle Tom's Cabin was a good book or not.
- whether the state should be slave or free.
3. The Dred Scott case was decided by the Supreme Court. The court said that:
- Scott was a free man.
- a slave was property and could not sue anyone.
- slavery was to be outlawed in the state Scott came from.
- Scott should never have been made a slave.
4. The ___________Act created two new states and repealed the Compromise of 1850.
- Compromise of 1854
- Bleeding Kansas
5. The big issue in the Presidential election of 1856 was ______________.
- the railroad
- emigrants coming to America
6. The Presidential election of 1856 was won by _________________ .
- Dred Scott
- James Buchanan
- William Lloyd Garrison